Sunday, January 29, 2012

Defensive Strategies

Man-to-Man

Jimmy (on paternity leave) and I have been on our own with the two kiddos for one week.  I would have to say that managing the two has been relatively easy as we have been relying on a man-to-man strategy.  I take the bulk of responsibility for Alex and Jimmy takes care of Amelia.  This has been working really well for us and we feel like we're very efficient!

We've already ventured out a few times with both kids.  I was nervous at first, but everything seemed to work out.  We just need to be more aware of timing feedings and naps.  I've also had to reorganize my diaper bag to accommodate the items needed for the two of them.  I am also loving our double stroller.  I'll have to remember to take a picture of them while they're riding in it ;0) 

The main problem that makes our days so difficult is that we are not getting much sleep.  We are exhausted.  Doing anything with just a few hours of sleep makes even the simplest tasks so difficult.  Alex has his days and night mixed up, so he sleeps a lot during the day.  At night, Alex likes to nurse every hour to an hour and a half, so we are not sleeping.  The lack of sleep is maddening! 

We had the same issue with Amelia, so we know there is a light at the end of the tunnel (hopefully).  The main difference is that during the day, we cannot sleep when the baby sleeps.  Although, there are a few rare moments when both are napping at the same time. 

Amelia is also still very "fragile" and having a difficult time with the transition.  I'd have to say that 70% of the time, she's fine, but she gets in these moods where she is inconsolable.  She gets really clingy, gets frustrated easily, and her tantrums have more than tripled since Alex's arrival. 

We are very surprised and saddened by her change in behaviour.  We are doing the best we can to help her, but it's so hard to see her so unlike her normal, happy self.  We just hope and pray that in time she will get used to her little brother and start to feel and act like her old self again.


A Switch to Zone Coverage...

Our zone coverage consists of Jimmy's role to support us (he has to bring home the bacon!) and my role to take care of the kiddos. 

Jimmy has to go back to work tomorrow (Monday). My mom will arrive in a few days to help out, but until then, I'll be on my own.  I'm so nervous!  I have confidence in myself and know I can manage the two kids alone, but I know it's going to take a while before I can figure out how to do things efficiently.  I just remind myself that people do it every day and that my situation in no exception.

My main concern is how I'm going to nurse Alex and care for Amelia at the same time.  Alex nurses about every 90 minutes and it takes 20-30 minutes to get him fed and burped.  We have a playroom that's closed in, so I'm going to nurse in there and keep Amelia in the room with me, so I know she can't get into any trouble.  I can also do the same in her nursery.  I hope it works... 

My other concern is taking care of myself, ha ha ha.  I worry that I won't have a chance to shower, eat, or even use the bathroom!  I also want to take walks, go to the park, and take the kids out for play group and play dates.  The logistics of taking them both out will be difficult, but I'm sure after a while I can figure out how to do it without going crazy (hopefully!)

Jimmy and I have always prided ourselves on being self-sufficient and working well together as a team.  Since we live so far away from any type of family support, we are able to figure out how to do things on our own successfully.  It's definitely not easy. It takes a lot more strategic planning and sacrificing on our part,  but we work though what we need to.  I think it's made us a lot stronger as a couple as we depend on each other for support and need to work together successfully if we want to get anything done.

We'll see what the next few days will bring... wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hang in there Mary! You can do it! You are right, it will get better. I remember that time well, and what a relief it was when it got better.
Keep plugging along-you can do it!