Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A change in plans... VBAC!

Monday

11:00pm- Just a few hours before my scheduled c-section, I went into labor!  I started feeling the contractions around 11pm.

Tuesday

3:00am- By Tuesday morning at 3am, the contractions were about 5 minutes apart.  It was time to go to the hospital.  (Remember, my c-section was scheduled for 5:30am!)

4:00am- I was in active labor and admitted to the hospital.  Jimmy and I decided to try for a VBAC since my labor started naturally.  We had hoped this would give us a better chance for a natural delivery. 

We postponed/cancelled my 5:30am scheduled c-section.  If the VBAC was unsuccessful, then we would go for the c-section later in the day.

12:00pm- I was progressing slowly and by noon, I was only dialated to 3cm.  The doctor suggested that they break my water and then see if that would help things along. 

2:30pm- I was dialted to 8cm, so it was looking very good for a successful VBAC. 

4:20pm- I was ready to push!

4:51pm- Alex was born at 4:51pm!  I only had to push for 5 contractions to get him out.

I am very proud to have had a successful VBAC!  It was really scary, since there are so many more potential complications and it's not a common procedure.  I feel truely blessed to have had the birthing experience and to have a healthy baby.

No comments: