Friday, July 23, 2010

Cloth Diapers

My friend/coworker, who is a "green" engineer for NIH, is also pregnant with her first child.  She's due just 3 weeks after me.  Somehow, we started talking about cloth diapers.  I told her that Jimmy and I were very interested in using them, but didn't know where to start.  She's a strong advocate for everything "green," so knew awesome resources.  It worked out perfectly because she had already planned on going to a cloth diapering workshop, so invited us along.

The workshop was last night and it was great! Jimmy has been gung-ho about cloth diapering from the very beginning, but I was a little bit hesitant.  Now that I've gotten more information and learned how to use them, I think cloth diapering is going to fit into our lifestyle very easily.  Cloth diapers have sure come a long way and they are a lot easier to use than I had expected. 

We're going to try out 3 different kinds for the first few months to see which one works for and fits Mia the best.  I'm posting pictures because family and friends think we're CRAZY and think cloth diapers are old fashioned and hard to use.  To clean them, you just wash them in your washing machine!  Like I said, they've come a long way... as you can see, they actually look like regular diapers.

Bum Genius Organic
All in Ones
(We'll get girly colors of course)





Smartipants
Pocket Diapers




Bum Genius
All-in-one (sized w/Velcro)

6 comments:

Amy said...

Robin really likes them. The ones with the removable liners are cool.

Mary said...

I'm so excited! Who thought diapers could be so fun ;0)

Amy said...

They are so much cuter than disposable!

Wendi said...

They are definitely cuter than disposable. :-) Not sure I would want to use them though....but now must check into it cause the $$ of disposables is OUT of this world!

Mary said...

This initial investment can be anywhere fron $200-$500, depending on the type and amount you get. The diapers we got are "one size" and will adjust and grow for babies 8-35 pounds... so Amelia will be wearing them for about 2 years. Compare that to spending $2,500-$3,000 a year on diapers and wipes!

Unknown said...

So excited you are going with cloth!! We love our Bumgenius. I ordered mine when Maggie was little (she is now 4) and we are now using them for Drew who is almost potty trained and out of them!! I have probably spent about $400 on diapers total that's not bad for total diapering costs of two kids! Enjoy your diapers and your little girl!!