Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Week 31

As you can tell from my previous blogs, week 31 was a super busy week!  My brother, sister, and sister-in-law all flew in from Washington (state) for a visit.  They usually come to see us once a year, but this time we were able to coordinate dates so they all arrived at the same time.  They were here for a week and we went to the National Mall, downtown DC, relaxed by our pool, went to the beach (Ocean City and Bethany Beach), ate breakfast in Baltimore, and visited Georgetown. 

I really pushed myself as we did lots of walking, spent lots of time in the sun, and went on a long road trip.  By the end of the week, I could barely walk and my body was permanently swollen.  However, I had a great time with my siblings.  We always seem to have fun when we're all together and I'm glad we are so close. 

One evening, Amelia had the hiccups and Jessica, Steven, and Jennifer were all able to touch my belly and feel her movements.  It was so cool!  It makes me sad to think that Amelia won't get to spend lots of time with her awesome uncle and aunties since we live so far away.

These past few days, I've been relaxing, putting my feet up, and getting lots of sleep.  My body hasn't fully recovered from their visit yet.  However, I think a lot of the uncomfortableness I have right now is simply because I'm in my third trimester and things usually don't get better as you get further and further into the pregnancy.  I've been having Braxton Hicks (false contractions), stiff hands (carpal tunnel), swollen feet, hip pain, and lots of pressure in my lower abdomen if I'm sitting or standing for too long.  It all sounds pretty bad, but I'm doing well and still go to work... I just take things a lot slower.

Jimmy has been awesome and has totally stepped it up for me.  He's been doing all the chores and running all the errands... and I don't even have to ask him for help.  He just does it on his own!  In fact, he asks ME if there's anything else he can do.  I definitely feel guilty laying on the couch or in bed while he's taking care of everything.  I love taking naps and waking  up to a clean house!  When I do get up to do some chores, he gets upset and tells me that I'm pushing myself to hard and need to rest. He is such a catch!

Last week, I also started treatment for gestational diabetes.  Jimmy and I were shocked when they told us about the diabetes.  The doctor said that I fell into several high risk categories because diabetes is very prevalent in both my mom and dad's side of the family, I'm Asian, and that I'm "older" (meaning 25+ years old).  Apparently, my glucose test was borderline, but they will treat me for gestational diabetes just to be on the safe side. 

I'm not on any medication, but just control my blood sugar by altering my diet.  I have a Glocometer and have to check my sugar levels 4 times a day...that's FOUR finger pricks a day!  It's been good so far and I haven't really had to alter my diet too much, since I eat pretty healthy anyway.  The things that I find difficult is timing all my meals and limiting my fresh fruit, and fruit juice intake... oh yeah, and no more lemonade :(  By far, the hardest part has been limiting my carbohydrate consumption!  Everyone who knows me, knows I LOVE LOVE LOVE carbs!  I've only had one abnormal reading since I started using the Glocometer, so I'm confidant that I can manage this. 

From now on, I also have to be seen once a week by a specialist in addition to my normal prenatal appointments and at week 36, I have to be seen two times a week, also in addition to my regular prenatal appointments.  That means, in my 9th month, I'll be seeing a doctor three times a week! 

Little Amelia is doing well.  She right on target as far as her growth and she is very very active!  Her head is still in the lower, right part of my belly.  She moves the most right after I eat and right before bed.  Sometimes I feel her foot or arm reach around the right side of my belly, which is so weird!  I have also been feeling movements higher in my belly.  I can't wait to hold her! 

Week 32 1/2
Only 60 days to go!

A view from the top...
At least I can still see my feet!

No comments: