Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Creative Play

Having a toddler around the house is very draining, but very entertaining.  Amelia's creativity, independent play, and imagination never ceases to surprise me.  Here's a few examples of what she's been up to:

Upside Down- Amelia was playing on her felt board and by accident, she put the igloo piece upside down.  She saw what she did and started cracking up.  She was so amused!  I went on to explain to her that it was "upside down."  She repeated is as "up-down" and continued to put the felt pieces upside down laughing each time she did so.  Throughout the rest of the day, she placed her stuffed friends, puzzle pieces, and books "up-down."  She laughed every single time.

Reading-  Now that Amelia has almost mastered her letters, she loves to point them out everywhere.  My favorite thing she does is when she grabs a book and "reads" to herself.  Her version of reading is looking at the words and saying each letter out loud.  It's too cute.

Triangle- Shapes have been a difficult concept for Amelia to learn.  I think she has difficulty in the idea that an object can be called two different things, like how a clock is also shaped like a circle.  However, just this week she is able to recognize triangles!  She even says triangle ("ti-guul"), which is super cute.

Meal Time- Amelia is starting to use a spoon and fork.  She is getting pretty good at jabbing at pieces of food with her fork and manages to get it in her mouth most of the time.  She has more trouble with the spoon, but she's getting there.  However, when she's really hungry, she just picks up her food and eats it, ha ha. 

She's also been asking for food by name. It's very exciting, but it definitely complicates things. She tends to ask for foods that we aren't serving her for that particular meal, so she gets really frustrated!

Clean up- Amelia has always been really good about cleaning up.  I've noticed lately that I haven't needed to prompt her to do so.  It's very exciting!  I'm really OCD when it comes to keeping things organized, so Amelia knows that every toy has a place and knows exactly where to put things when she's done.

Amelia hates it when I clean up her face after meals.  I've started giving her hew own washrag and she now cleans her face herself.  She also likes to wipe off the table, floor, and is in charge of throwing her own trash in the garbage.  She loves having responsibilities and I love giving them to her!  I can't wait until she can help with chores in the house ;0)

Mommy- Amelia is such a natural mother.  Lately, she has been nursing her baby.  Jimmy and I think it's hilarious!  I've also been making her baby pretend to cry and she reacts by saying, "It's okay baby" and then picks it up and rubs her back.  Every time I change Alex's diaper, she follows me and does the same with her baby.  I've set up a mini diaper changing area for Amelia next to Alex's.  Amelia's baby also goes down for a nap when Alex does too, ha ha. 

Good Night Kisses-  We end each night with family kisses.  Right before Amelia goes to bed we all get together for a family hug.  Then she goes around and gives each of us kisses.  She says "daddy" and then gives him a big exaggerated "mmuuuwwwaaahhh." She does the same for me, calling me "money," and Alex, who she still calls "baby." She usually kisses each of us several times before she gets tired and is off to bed.

No comments: