Saturday, December 14, 2013

Eleven Years

 
 
We celebrate eleven years of marriage today, yay! We have a nerdy, dorky kind of love and I'm not afraid to admit it.
 
I feel lucky.  Jimmy has always been great partner.  We've had a strong connection since we were teenagers.  Anyone that knows Jimmy, knows that he is a talker.  I will admit that it gets annoying at times, but our open line of communication brings such strength to our relationship. 
 
Even all these years later, we still talk about anything and everything, joke together (maybe too much!), and I'm still madly in love with him (when he's not being annoying).
 
We have changed so much over the years, so our relationship has too.  As teenagers, we went through stages of infatuation and puppy love.  In college, we dealt with our own personal changes of growing up and becoming independent.  We struggled, but had success in figuring out how our ever changing personalities fit into our relationship.
 
After college, we got married and settled into a challenging military lifestyle.  We were far from family and left everything familiar to us behind.  At many times, we only had each other.  We also spend a lot of time apart because of deployments and training.  I know all that chaos made us stronger and more appreciative of each other and continues to do so. 
 
About three and a half years ago, our life was turned upside down by a little lady named Amelia.  Then, 16 months later, Alex added to the chaos known as our life.  We had jumped two feet into the crazy, stressful world of parenthood. 
 
Watching Jimmy grow into fatherhood and his interactions with the kids has made me appreciate him and fall in love with him all over again.  Jimmy is an involved father.  He is such a family man and focused on us. He makes us feel like we are a priority in life by planning family activities, spoiling the kids, and just making us the primary focus.  I appreciate that. 
 
Parenthood has brought forth so many more complications, but I take pride in the fact that our relationship has withstood that.  I attribute that to Jimmy's willingness, flexibility, and patience to work on it with me.   
 
Being parents is so much like a roller coaster ride, with the highest "highs" followed by the lowest "lows" we could have ever imagined.  But it's totally worth it and I wouldn't have it any other way.
 
I know this post is random, but it comes from the heart.  Anniversaries are always a time of reflection.  I feel like we've been through so much already, but am looking forward to what our future will bring.  Good or bad, I know we will push forward together and find happiness in our journey together.

No comments: