Saturday, July 9, 2011

The First Trimester

My first trimester was really tough.  I had morning sickness all throughout the day and felt really tired and sleepy all the time.  It's just more difficult because not only do I have to care for myself, but Amelia is still 100% completely dependent on me, so it's been an adjustment.  Some new symptoms I'm having with this pregnancy, that I didn't have with Amelia, is insomnia, stomach issues, and severe dry skin.

At eight weeks, we also had a big scare when I had to go into the emergency room for severe pain and cramping on my right side.  Thank goodness is was just an ovarian cyst.  It  was a very emotional and difficult time in the ER.  We were so scared, but so thankful that in the end everything was okay with the baby.  During my ER visit, I got really emotional when I saw the baby's heartbeat and the doctor told me the baby was perfect.

I've already had three prenatal appointments, got lots of labs done, and have seen the baby via ultrasound four times.  My next appointment is at 16 weeks, but before then, I have to take the dreaded gestational diabetes test.  Since I had GD with Amelia, they're making me take it a lot earlier.  I am just hoping and praying that I don't have it this time around!!!  The GD diet is so annoying.

 We are so excited for our second child.  So far, this has been such a different experience for Jimmy and I. With Amelia, we were busy researching and purchasing the necessary baby items and anticipating and fantasizing what it would be like to be a parent.  We were so nervous and didn't know what to expect!  It was very overwhelming.

Now, we have most baby items and know what to expect with a newborn.  This time around, we have more time and energy to be excited ;0)  We are still anxious about the logistics of caring for two young children... but I think we have more confidence in ourselves and know our capabilities this time around.

It's a good thing that 95% of the stuff we bought and were gifted (besides clothes) with Amelia, is gender neutral ;0)  We knew we wanted our kids to be close together in age, so we were thinking ahead!

The only things on our baby list are a new car seat for Amelia (the new baby will use Amelia's infant seat), about 18 more cloth diapers, a double stroller, and another crib.  Oh yeah, and if we have a boy, we will obviously need to purchase clothes.  We are contemplating purchasing a new vehicle, but that's still up in the air, depending on how the two car seats and double stroller fit in "Milton," our small Acura TSX, ha ha ha.

We've also made the decision to convert our den/office area into a playroom.  It will be a better use of the space and the perfect gift for Amelia's first birthday.  It's been really fun planning and decorating the new room. The two kids will share a room, so we also got rid of the bunk beds in our nursery to make room for a second crib.  Again, it's a good thing our nursery is gender neutral (yellow, green, and red).

I am just so happy and excited that the first trimester is over because we are just getting closer to meeting our newest, little family member.

No comments: