Monday, June 18, 2012

My Dad

My dad is awesome.  He recently had a birthday and Father's Day was yesterday, so I've been thinking about him and missing him more than usual.  We talk on the phone regularly, but I don't think I'll get to see him until January 2013.

I love making lists, so he are a few cool tidbits about my dad: 

He met my mom at a funeral.

He has 16 (full blood) brothers and sisters.

My dad grew up in a home with no running water or electricity.

He immigrated from the Philippines to the US when he was in his early 20's.

His first job in the US was picking pineapples in Hawaii.



After he joined the US Army, he went back to the Philippines to marry the love of his life, my mom.

My dad is very proud of his military service.  He served 20 years.

My dad taught me how to shot a gun and make bullets... when I was in elementary school.  We made bullets in our basement and went to the shooting range regularly.  I had my own gun.

When I was dating Jimmy in high school, my dad called Jimmy and told him to stop calling me every day.  Yup, that was my dad.  He felt I was too young (14 years old) to be dating.  He absolutely adores Jimmy now.  They just had a rough start ;0)

He conducted daily room inspections to make sure all our rooms were clean before bed.  I know I'm a neat freak today because of him.



He almost always has a toothpick in his mouth when he's at home.

My dad tells the funniest jokes.  What's interesting, is that through the years I've heard all his jokes.  He probably has about 30-40 jokes he tells on a regular basis.  When I was younger, I didn't think they were funny.  Now that I'm older, his jokes are hilarious.  Seriously, my siblings and I laugh so hard we can't breathe. 

My dad likes to try to impress people with his magic tricks.

He could probably sing karaoke for 24 hours straight if he could.  He's really good too!

My dad can grow anything.  He has a green thumb... pointer finger, middle finger, ring finger, and pinkie.  His gardens are amazing.



My dad is THE hardest working person I know.  He is so dedicated and passionate about his career.  He will go in early, stay late, and work holidays and weekends if he has to.  At the age of 61, he still has the same work ethic and drive as he did when he was younger.

His favorite phrase:  "That's not advisable."

My dad was really strict when I was growing up.  Really strict.  He was definitely a "Tiger Dad."  He had very high standards for me.  I didn't understand it growing up, but thank God he pushed me.  I attribute any success I've ever had to my dad's confidence in my abilities.   

In high school, he used to wash my car because he was embarrassed about it being dirty and in his driveway.

He is absolutely devoted to my mom.  After all these years, I see them together and he is still smitten by her.  I love it.  They are adorable.  They are good role models for Jimmy and I. 

My dad is all about family.  I'm glad he instilled that strong bond with all of us from beginning.  We are a close family because of that. 

No comments: