I considered giving up my career when I was pregnant. In the end, Jimmy and I had decided that part-time work would be the best option. I thought resigning was too wasteful in consideration of the education and experience I have got. I figured part-time work would help keep my career on track, provide an outlet for me to use my "work brain," and keep me in touch with the professional working world.
However, there is a big change in my mind. Over these several months after Amelia was born, this idea of staying home full time has come up over and over again...
Well, after 5 months of part time work, I handed in my resignation letter and decided to be a stay at home mother... or as my friends call it, a domestic diva. I am both excited and nervous! Jimmy and I decided that it would be best for our family. My last official day is April 22.
Emotionally, it’s definitely the power of the baby. She is so cute that I can’t help thinking of her every minute, like every mother does. I just want to be with her as much as possible. Although our babysitter is awesome, we still didn't like the idea of Amelia being there two days a week. Jimmy is also getting promoted in May, so my resignation won't change our lifestyle at all. It just makes sense.
Most people assume it was an easy decision. Believe me, it wasn't! Call me a selfish person, but I struggled with postponing my career and all the goals I had planned with where I wanted my career to be. I will technically be "unemployed" and I don't know how I feel (or am going to feel) about that. It was a hard decision for me because my career has always given me a sense of identity and self worth. Most of my goals in life are centered on my job. It will be truly hard to let it go.
I have been working since I was 16 and have never looked back. My job at NIH is great and it sucks that I will have to give it up. If I would have stayed, I would have gotten a fatty promotion and pay raise. The irony is that I would have been at the level I thought would take me 10+ more years to get to. Some of my friends/coworkers think I'm crazy to give up my job and some people have embraced my decision.
My new goals and aspirations now revolve around our family! I am so thankful that our lifestyle allows for me to make this choice. I plan to reenter the workforce when Amelia starts school. If we have more children, it might be a few more years after that. Who knows what the future will bring!
Just one more week of work for me...I'm so excited ;0)
No comments:
Post a Comment