Saturday, February 25, 2012

Colic

My worst parenting fear has come true... Alex has Colic :(

Colic (also known as infantile colic) is a condition in which an otherwise healthy baby cries or displays symptoms of distress (cramping, moaning, etc) frequently and for extended periods, without any discernible reason. The condition typically appears within the first month of life and often disappears rather suddenly, before the baby is three to four months old, but can last up to 12 months of life.


Alex cries and cries and cries... and cries some more.  He probably cries about 90% of the time when he's awake.  The crying started when he was about 4 weeks old and has yet to stop.  In fact, it's been getting worse.  I hope and pray that it disappears soon.  It is physically and emotionally draining.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Robin went through this with Mia. If you need an understanding ear you should email her! robinbeumer@gmail.com .

I will be praying for you guys that it settles down.

Mary said...

Thanks Amy! At this point I'm just counting down the weeks... They say babies usually calm down at about 12 weeks. That means I just have to make it about 6 more weeks. Fingers crossed that he feels better soon!