Monday, February 13, 2012

2.5 Hours

2.5 hours... that is the longest amount of time that I've slept since Alex was born.  Argh!  Because I'm exclusively nursing, I'm the only one that can feed him.  That means, I'm up for every single feeding, night and day.

Needless to say, I'm exhausted.  Caring for both a 17 month old and a newborn is not as difficult as I thought... it's trying to get through the day and night with very little sleep that's driving me crazy!  The nursing also limits me to just 4 oz of coffee per day.  Every morning, I covet and savor that one cup of wonderful coffee. 

Now that my milk supply is (mostly) regulated, I might try to start pumping this week.  Just like with Amelia, I have a milk oversupply.  Most would see that as a blessing, so I'm thankful, but it's very annoying!  Since nursing is a supply-and-demand situation, the added pumping would cause my body to make even more milk.  Once I start pumping I have to be extra careful, otherwise, I'll be engorged all day if I don't time things right.

I definitely have a love-hate relationship with the pump.  I HATE HATE HATE pumping.  It makes me feel like a cow, takes too much time, and feels so unnatural.  However, I LOVE that it allows for me a (much needed) break from breastfeeding.  It allows for me to leave Alex for more than a few hours.

After he's about one month old, we will try to introduce him to the bottle.  I hope he takes to it well, because Amelia hated using a bottle.  My nursing goal is to make it six months, to July 20.  However, I hope to make it past one year and not have to use any formula, just like with Amelia.  We'll see how motivated I am the second time around, ha ha ha.

Having said all that, having this little guy in our life it totally worth it!


No comments: