Amelia started showing signs of being ready to potty train in back December, so we decided to "set a date" to start potty training. We waited another two months so we could take the time to prep her, talk it up, get ourselves ready, and REALLY make sure she was ready. I've always heard that the key to potty training success is making sure the child is ready.
In true Lehman parenting style (ha!) we decided to jump in with both feet. We went with the three day potty training method (no diapers for three days, only underwear). We knew she wouldn't be potty trained in three days. Our intent was to give her a good foundation and solid jump start to the process.
We cleared our calendar for President's Day weekend and crossed our fingers! OMG. Nothing could have prepared us for how mentally draining the process is.
Day 1-
The first day, we kept questioning our parenting skills, our method, and agonizing over Amelia's well being. She fussed, cried, and flat out said, "I don't like it." It was tough to handle. Despite everything, she was very successful and only had one accident.
Day 2-
Amelia caught on very fast. We are amazed at how in tune she is with her body. (I've heard kids who use cloth diapers are more aware of their potty habits, since nothing is absorbed by their diaper, and they can feel everything.) Even though she didn't like it, she was peeing in the potty consistently and had no accidents.
We were very worried that we were mentally damaging her because she cried while she peed. Also, Amelia refused to poop. She was holding it in and was getting really uncomfortable. Our worst nightmare came true... We had broken our daughter. It would take years of therapy to get her back to normal.
Sooooooooo, after a long discussion and lots of tears (by me of course), we decided to throw in the towel and regroup We would put her back in a diaper and ditch the whole potty training process.
Miracles do happen because even though she had a diaper on, she still let us know when she had to go potty! Jimmy and I were ready to give up and my sweet, smart, inquisitive little girl kept it going. I was so proud of her and ashamed as a parent for wanting to give up. Amelia wasn't ready to stop trying. It's always on her terms!
We left her diaper on the rest of the day anyway, but she continued to use the potty successfully. She didn't even go in her diaper once!
Day 3-
No accidents and peed in the potty successfully all day.
*We didn't get a poop success until day 5, but now she goes regularly... thank goodness!
Incentives used:
temporary tattoos, one for every success (she was all tatted up by the end of the weekend!)
potty chart w/stickers
Candy- licorice, lollipops, and chocolate
play make-up
stickers
She had more than a dozen tattoos before we decided to stop using them. They covered her arm and legs. She loved them!
We took a trip to the toy store to get a special big girl toy. I told her she could pick anything she wanted. She picked out a doll that looked like her. It's the little girl from Monster's Inc, Boo.
We are so happy with her progress! Every time she says, "Mommy, I did it!" my heart melts and I'm just so freaking proud if her. She hasn't had an accident since the first day and won't go even if she has a diaper on. We've also taken her out and she's done great. We will still diaper her before naps and bedtime. We'll work on that once she's fully mastered awake/day time potty training.
Amelia amazes me. I am so proud of her. Surprisingly, this whole process has taught me a lot about myself as a parent and brought me closer to Amelia. She is such a great kid and I feel so lucky to have her in my life. I'll keep you posted on her progress!
Good job Amelia!


No comments:
Post a Comment