Friday, January 24, 2014

Med Dynasty

In the military there are many rigid, boring, traditional social events.  For example, a "dining in" is a very formal military ceremony that includes dinner, toasts, drinking, and strict rules of etiquette.  It is also important to note that only service members are allowed to attend.  No spouses or family members are permitted.  

Having said that, I attended my very first "mock dining in."  It is a tradition put together by military spouses to mock the formalities of the traditional dining in and to have loads of fun.  Oh yeah, and no service members allowed ;0)

It a huge competition between all the units on post, so we are all judged, points are given and taken away, and a winner is chosen.  Each unit comes up with a theme.  The tables are decorated to match the theme and everyone comes up with a costume to match.  There are games, crazy toasts, and silly rules of etiquette (i.e No one is to mention their spouses, children, deployments, or pregnancies.).

Since Jimmy is part of a medical unit, BACH MEDDAC, we went with the theme Med Dynasty.  Of course, playing off of the reality series Duck Dynasty, combined with medicine.  Coming into the group, I was at a huge disadvantage since I had never seen the show.  However, it didn't take long for me to get the general idea of the look we were going for, ha ha.

I wish I had taken more pictures of the other tables and spouses!!  Sadly, most of the pictures I took were silly selfies and a few group shots.  

Everyone was so creative!  A few examples of other themes were Breakfast at Tiffany's, Despicable Me's Minions, Flappers, Mad Men, football, Grease, and a moving company.  It was such a great experience and I was so happy to be a part of it.

This was our unit's first year to participate.  Unfortunately, we didn't win, but we are totally going to rock it out next year.  We are already making plans and brainstorming for a good theme!

Hospital + Duck Dynasty = Med Dynasty

MEDDAC Spouses & our guidon (unit flag)





One of our spouses getting attacked by other spouses from the moving company!

No comments: