Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Volunteer Work

I started volunteering for the hospital last month.  I had planned on doing so earlier, but the weaning process for Alex has been very slow.  However, I'm at the point now, where I can leave him for a few hours without worry.

I am now the Co-Leader for the Family Readiness Group (FRG) for Blanchfield Army Medical Hospital. 

What is an FRG?  Here's what I found on Wikipedia:

FRG's are established to provide activities and support to enhance the flow of information, increase the resiliency of unit soldiers and their families, provide practical tools for adjusting to military deployments and separations, and enhance the well-being and esprit de corps within the unit.

We have one or two meetings a week, in addition to weekly ongoing activities, training, or programs.  I only volunteer 5-10 hours a week, but it keeps me busy and motivated.  It's fun and exciting to work on projects and activities for families.  It's also nice to use my brain for things other than teaching my kids preschool concepts or dealing with poop and pee all day ;0)

The best part about it is that I'm meeting all kinds of new people!  I've met a great group of women who have young children too.  I have lots of new friends and Amelia and Alex have lots of new playmates. 

I usually put the kids in hourly care when I volunteer, but I have the option of bringing them along if I want to.  I love the flexibility.  I also like the fact that I'm in the hospital a lot more, so it's nice to visit Jimmy while he's at work.

I had originally thought about volunteering through the Red Cross, the Spouses Club, or with Army Community Service, but I'm glad I went with the FRG.  I've volunteered with those agencies in the past, so it's been fun to try something new. 

No comments: