I know that those feelings will never go completely away. I think most parents feel the same way I do. However, lately, I have actually been feeling very fortunate to have two kids so close in age.
When Alex is fussy, sometimes I just tell Amelia to make him laugh. She will play peek-a-boo with him, give him a toy, get his blanket, or make silly noises. Alex perks right up. Amelia can be very comforting to Alex and it's very sweet.
Watching them play together makes me so happy. One of their favorite games is just chasing each other around the house. I love hearing their giggles and squeals echo through the hallway. They also like to make and feed each other meals using our play kitchen. Amelia also loves being the doctor. She often tells me that Alex is sick and needs a checkup.
I absolutely love watching them share snacks or toys. Most of the time we need to prompt them to do so, but when they share on their own, my heart gets so full and I can't help but smile!
I have recently started letting Amelia help Alex down the stairs. I really need to take a video of this because it is the sweetest thing you have ever seen. She is so patient and encouraging. She holds his hand and says, "Alex keeps trying. Alex you are doing a good job. Be careful Alex, go slow." It's takes them about ten minutes to make it down the stairs, but totally worth it.
Amelia is also learning to be such a great teacher. I do little lessons with the kids and she just loves to mimic me and teach Alex too. She helps me teach Alex his colors, numbers, and letters. Again, she is very encouraging and patient. She points to things and asks, "Alex, what color is this?" She also has certain books she likes to read to Alex and encourages his participation by asking, "How many monkeys do you see?" It is amazing to watch.
Amelia helps Alex with puzzles and shows him how to build towers. She can be very bossy at times, but she means well, ha ha. Amelia also tells Alex to stop throwing his food, "Alex, that's not cool!" and is quick to tell me if Alex is getting into something he shouldn't be.
Amelia always needs to know where Alex is. If he's napping, she knows she needs to be quiet. When he wakes up, she rushes to his room to comfort him. When he's at school, she knows that he eventually needs to be picked up and repeatedly asks me when we are going to get him. It's almost as if she can't be apart from him unless she knows when she can see him again.
Before naps and bedtime, Amelia gets his blanket and turns off the light in his room. She helps me rock him to sleep by singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and You are My Sunshine. It's absolutely adorable.
There are so many cute things they do together and I wish I could write about it all! There are so many moments where I just get so overwhelmed by their actions and I get really emotional. What can I say? They are my kids and I just love them so much and so thankful to be able to witness their sibling relationship develop.
I'm not saying it's always rainbows and sunshine with these two. Like most young siblings, they fight and bicker.... A LOT! However, when it's good, it's really good! Thankfully, most of the time they get along pretty well.

No comments:
Post a Comment