Monday, January 28, 2013

That's What She Said

I really need to be writing these down more often, but here's a few silly things our little lady has been saying lately:

Amelia doesn't just say no, she says "No way" or "I don't think so."  She also adds a sassy little tone when she says it.  Yeah, it was cute at first, but not any more!

Instead of yes, she says "Okay, okay, okay, okay" and says it as fast as she can.

If Alex does something bad, like throw food on the floor, she looks at him with disappointment and says "Ah-kee, that's not cool."

If she sees Alex crying, she'll comfort him be saying "Be cool Ah-kee. Be cool."  Then she will bust out into twinkle twinkle little star and rub his back.  This is by far one of the sweetest things I've witnessed in my life.

Sometimes, while she's playing independently she'll scream out "Marco" and expect you to say "Polo."  This is especially strange because we've never taught her that.  We think she picked it up at school.

For the past few months, we've been working on sequencing and she's gotten really good at it.  She is able to follow up to four directions in sequence and is starting to grasp the concepts of patterns.  However, she's been trying to work the system to her advantage. 

For example, at dinner, she'll as for licorice.  We tell her no and redirect her to drink her milk, eat her rice, and apple.  As soon as we finish our requests, she chimes in and says....."THEEEEN I'll have licorice."  That's just one example of about 25 situations a day. 

Me: Mimi, put your cup away and clean up your toys.
Mimi:  THEEEEN, we'll watch Elmo.

Me: Mimi let's go downstairs to change Alex's diaper.
Mimi: THEEEEN, we'll eat chips.

Me: Let's go grocery shopping and have lunch.
Mimi: THEEEEN we'll go to the museum.

She's cracks me up and I wish I kept better track of her silliness.  She gets really shy around people and doesn't talk as much.  I just really wish everyone could experience her hilarity and discovery (and manipulation!) of language.

No comments: