Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Red Velvet

Anyone who knows me, knows that I do not cook.  My husband does 99% of all the cooking and I like it that way ;0)  He's a good cook and even cooks my mom's Filipino recipes.  As for myself, I like to bake, mostly because I love love love sweets (and carbs).  However, I usually bake things from a box. 

My new goal is to be skilled at baking things from scratch.  Red Velvet is my absolute favorite cake flavor and my aspiration is to make Red Velvet my baking speciality.

I made a three layered Red Velvet cake 2 weeks ago (from scratch) and it turned out pretty good.  I used Martha Stewart's recipe since I'm a big fan.  Oh yeah, and the cream cheese frosting was made from scratch too which was also Martha's recipe.  I wish that I had taken a picture because the cake turned out beautiful.  The cream cheese frosting was perfect! 

The cake was yummy, but the Red Velvet taste wasn't quite right (sorry Martha), so I altered the recipe a little bit.  I added cocoa powder, salt, and cornstarch to the original recipe.  I also replaced the white vinegar with apple cider vinegar.  The second time around, I made cupcakes instead of a cake and it turned out AWESOME.  I'm super proud of myself!  I now have my own pseudo-original Red Velvet cake recipe.

I don't have any frosting tools, so I had to frost them using a sandwich bag with a hole cut in it.  I think I cut the hole too big too... oooops!  Otherwise, the frosting might have looked better.

Since the recipe made 24, Jimmy took some to work.  The downside of baking is having too many sweets in the house!  When I made the cake, Jimmy and I only ate half of it and had to throw the rest of it away.  I'll stick with making cupcakes, since they are easier to share!

No comments: