Today I had my orientation for my new job at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). My first official day will be on Monday, but from what I learned at the orientation today, I'm already excited. I think it's going to be a good career change for me and I'm looking forward to figuring out exactly what I'm going to be doing, ha ha ha.
I think there are 31 Institutes at the NIH campus, but I'll be working for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) in the Division of Intramural Research (DIR). According to my job description, I'll be on a team that helps recruit scientists from around the world to work for the NIAID DIR. From what I can tell and how it was described to me, it seems like a lot of case management type tasks, which is why I think they hired me. My social and human services background is strong in case management. They told me that they don't usually hire people from my field, but wanted to try something new and hope to get e fresh and new approach to the position.
Yikes, talk about pressure. I'm nervous that I won't fit in or that I won't have the skill set they thought I had. I'm also worried that I'm not smart enough to work there... I'm not joking. I'm just intimidated by everything. I'm not usually this nervous for a new job, but this is a whole new career field for me, so I don't know what to expect!
I’ll keep you all posted…
No comments:
Post a Comment