Fort Campbell had a special boot display for Military Survivor Appreciation Week. Each boot represents a fallen Soldier from the war since September 11th, 2001. There are more than 7,000 boots and each one has the name and photo of each service member who passed away. It was very moving and reminded me of when we visited Arlington Cemetery.
The kids were really impressed with all the boots. They spent time counting them, walking up and down the rows, and looking at the pictures of the Soldiers.
Amelia and Alex had a lot of questions, but I didn't quite know how to explain what they were seeing. I just told them that all the people in the pictures were daddy's friends and help keep them safe.
Amelia asked me which boot was daddy's. That question hit me hard. Seeing displays like this really puts things into perspective. It's a sad reminder of all the loss that is all around us in the military community. Almost everyone I know, knows someone who has died or been injured in the war.
Just feeling so thankful for Andrew and our family.


No comments:
Post a Comment