Thursday, December 6, 2012

Independent, Sensitive, and Funny

What is Amelia like at 27 months?
 
Independent
 
Amelia's independence is amazing to me. Now that she's much older and more aware of right and wrong, my trust in her has increased significantly. 
 
Amelia has always been able to play on her own for extended periods of time.  It's a trait she's had since she was a baby.  As a toddler, she is pretty much free to roam about the house and play as she pleases.   
 
She can do lots of things on her own or with very little assistance.  She helps me make simple meals, sets the table, clears her dishes, and puts them in the dishwasher.  She also attempts of wipe down her chair and table, and sweep up the kitchen floor.  She doesn't really end up cleaning anything, but I really want her to know that clean up is also a part of meal time.  
 
I showed her how to fold a few items of clothing and now she helps me with laundry.  She also loves putting the laundry in and out of the washer and pushing all the buttons.  She picks out her outfits (within reason!) and I allow her to take off and put on her clothes.  She needs some assistance, but gets better every day.  She also helps me get Alex dressed and puts all the dirty laundry away. 
 
With anything she is able to do, or do with little assistance, I do my best to encourage her independence.  This includes even simple things like climbing in the stroller, getting up and down from her chair, getting into her car seat, etc.   
 
I know her independence is especially important with having become a big sister at such a young age.  I always make sure she gets some privacy and alone time from Alex.  Alex was born when she was just 16 months old. He loves to be around her but often times keeps her from doing certain things. It's hard for her to color, read, or build things, without Alex intervening and making things complicated. I know she needs a break to do her own thing without intrusion. Don't we all just want some privacy and alone time?
 
Sensitive
 
Amelia is a very sensitive toddler. Most times, it takes her a while to warm up to new places and people. In new situations, she usually hangs back and observes for a period of time. However, once she gains your trust, she will never forget your name and love you forever. 
 
She recognizes some of her emotions and tells me how she feels.  She tells me when she's scared, frustrated, sad, happy, and mad.  She also knows when she is tired and asks for naps.  She is very aware of her emotions and others'. Amelia especially gets concerned when other kids are sad.  
 
Funny
 
Amelia tells jokes!  Her sense of humor is quite interesting.  I know she's trying to be funny because she always says "That's silly" after she tries to be funny.  It's hilarious. 
 
-While we are driving, she'll say, "I see zero cows." Then she just starts cracking up because she thinks it's silly to see something that's not there.  She'll do that with different things she doesn't see like semi's, tractors, and various animals. 
 
- She changes words to songs:  Instead of singing "Baaa baaa black sheep," she'll say "baaa baaa black beans."  Then, she just laughs and laughs.  She will look around and change the song to what she sees around her. 
 
There are so many more examples of her jokes, but I can't think of any right now.  I should start writing them down!
 
I know she's only two, but she is growing up into such a lovely, complex young lady.  It's such a pleasure and privilege to see her personality blossoming before my eyes.
  
 
"Mommy, Mimi reads the books downstairs, okay?"  Amelia walks downstairs and asks, "Mimi's blankets on top of the sofa?"  After I tell her it's okay, she runs to her room and gets blankets from her bed and sets up her reading area on the couch.  She stayed there reading for almost an hour!


No comments: