Thursday, May 31, 2012

Getting Settled

We have been busy trying to get the house together.  Like I mentioned before, it's been so much more difficult with two young kids.  We try to do what we can during their nap time and after they both go to bed.  As you can imagine, it's been a slow process.

We are renting the house from our good friends, so they've allowed us to do some customizing.  Soooo... on top of all the unpacking and organizing, we are painting and doing some small home improvement projects. 

Jimmy took five weeks off to help with the big move and transition.  We envisioned lots of quality family time and going on lots of new adventures in our new area.  Sadly, his vacation is almost up and we haven't even fully organized and settled into the house yet!  It's been so much more difficult than we had planned.  Two little ones and zero support make for a long drawn out unpacking process!

We are going through so much right now: new baby and "spirited" toddler, out-of-state-move, new home, unpacking, cleaning, house projects, getting to know a new area, etc.  We are pretty much starting a new life with no family or friends (for now) to support us.  It's been rough, but Jimmy and I will get through this. 

We joked about how this move will probably test our marriage... and it has, ha ha ha.   In all seriousness though, we work hard to keep our relationship strong.  We have gone through so many moves and extra stressors in our life.  We are used to doing things on our own and depending on each other.  Words can't describe how hard it is, but I am thankful that we are such a strong couple because of it.  It may break some people, but it just makes us stronger. 

It may sound like I'm complaining, but I'm not.  We still manage to have some fun ;0)  We were able to take one trip to Nashville.  We drove around a little bit and then went shopping for summer clothes for the kids.

One night, after we put the kids to bed, Jimmy stayed up all night painting the playroom, so the kids wouldn't have to be without their playroom for a day. He is amazing! I stayed up for a few hours with him to help out.  We actually had fun! Using Pandora, we listened to 90's music and reminisced about our high school and college years. Having two little ones makes it hard to have a conversation for longer than a few minutes, so it was nice to talk "child-free" for a few hours. It was almost romantic, ha ha ha.

Just yesterday we were running errands with the kids.  By the time we got to the last store, Amelia was having a complete melt down.  She was screaming, crying, and pretty much inconsolable.  I was also getting frustrated because I had been wearing Alex all day and my back was killing me.  (His new nickname is The Back Breaker.)  Let's just say that Jimmy and I were so ready to get home. 

Both kids ended up falling asleep on the way home.  When we pulled into the driveway, almost at the same time, we took deep breathes and looked at each other.  We had a long day.  We enjoyed the quiet so much that we stayed in the van in our driveway with our kids happily sleeping in the back.  Alex was the first to wake up, but we had a blissful 20 minutes to relax and talk!  I bet our neighbors wondered why we sat in the car for so long, ha ha.

That's all for now... it's been busy so I apologize for not getting the blog out as quickly as before!

1 comment:

Lisa Schkerke said...

I totally understand. That's why we still have boxes. Chris couldn't take off so its just me. Don't worry about the neighbors. We've all done it. Nikki and I have both let the kids sleep like that.